This year we wanted to see what the weather was going to do and really decided after they opened the gates to go, and mostly because our DD has been talking about it for about 3 weeks. The weather was cool, but cooperated and the symphony was great. They do a tribute to all of the veterans in the audience with an arrangement that has all of the armed forces recoginized - Army, Coast Guard, Marines, Air Force, and Navy. As each song is started, those men and women who have served or are serving stand up.
This part of the concert brings a tear to my eyes and lump to my throat as I look around at the crowd to see those who are standing. Many of them are older gentlemen. It always occurs to me that I can sit in that park and listen to that concert because of people like them - brave men and women who have sacrificed all they have and know to serve others who more than likely will never meet them. I have the freedoms I enjoy because of them, because of their willingness to serve. Thank you to all of the men and women who have protected our freedom!!!
The last song the symphony does is accompanied by fireworks. I love fireworks. My DS, who was sitting on my lap, actually sat and enjoyed them without screaming for the first time - ever. It was a great family time and I am so glad we went. Maybe next year we'll have Joshua with us to enjoy it with us! Here's praying!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment