Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Quick Update...

There's not a whole lot to update about the adoption...we're still in IBESR (not that I expected us to be out of it so soon, but with God on your side ANYTHING is possible!).

We do know that Joshua is walking and has cut a couple of teeth. He is healthy and seems to be doing very well. We skype with him every other Sunday, which is a great thing to look forward to. It's pretty much a one-sided conversation, but I get to see him and he hears our voices and that's really what matters to me.

We are planning a trip to go down in October - with our kids. I am still blown away that they would CHOOSE going to Haiti to meet their brother over going to Walt Disneyworld. They didn't immediately answer going to Haiti, but it was their choice and there was no pushing from us. In 1 Corinthians, Paul talks about keeping our eyes focused on what is eternal rather than what is temporary. I can hardly think of a more vivid example of it than this, and it was my kids who did it. Our DD and DS have CHOSEN to meet their brother and go to Haiti (eternal) over going to Disneyworld (earthly & temporary). I can't say how proud I am of them for making such an amazing choice.

I had a great tip on cheap airfare early this morning, did some looking and was able to find tickets for a $406 a person - that's the cheapest I have seen it since I started going to Haiti in March of 2007. I was stoked. Then, I realized it would only cost 25,000 miles for a ticket with one difference in flights. Okay, that makes 3 tickets. AND I have 2-$100 e-vouchers to use. That brings the total (including redemption fees) to around $1070, for 4 people to FLY to Haiti. Granted this doesn't include hotel or food or a few souvenirs, but even with those expenses, we will come in less than the room and park tickets for Disneyworld (not including food, transportation to Orlando, or the expensive souvenirs). AND the kids will have real world experience.

In order to go, though, they will miss two days of school after their fall break. Today was school registration and I talked to the principal about our trip. She told me that it would be fine and to just write a letter for their files saying that she approved the absences. I told her that I couldn't very well tell our kids NO! when it was a choice they made. She was pretty impressed with the fact that two kids would choose that. How can she say no to that?! Praise God that she didn't and she fully supports it. In fact, our DS's class sponsored one of the classes at NCA (see Nehemiah Vision Ministries) last year. She even remembered that Pierre had come to the school and wondered how he was doing. She hopes to do something similar again this year. Again, PRAISE GOD!!! She asked if we would be bringing Joshua home and I told her not this trip.

Then, to top it all off, the kids' passports came in the mail today. We applied for them last Monday - it only took a week and a half!

So, we're well on our way to booking our flights. (PRAISE GOD that AA.com has the option to hold an itinerary for 24 hours before purchasing!) The kids each got their travel immunizations on Monday - OK so they hate shots, but what else is there to do?

So, with summer coming to a close :(, we continue to remain busy...DS is starting football next week, DD starts soccer in two weeks, school starts in two weeks (whatever happened to starting after labor day??), and, well, summer is virtually over. It's been good. Bummed it's almost over.

GOD IS SO GOOD!!!

No comments: