"If you remain in me and my words remain in you, then you may ask anything you wish and it will be given you." John 15:7
That is our memory verse for the week. My devotion this morning challenged me to read John 15 and specifically seek out ways that I can pray in faith. Here's what I came up with:
v.2 - Pray for and thank HIM for pruning my dead branches
v.4 - Pray to remain in Him
v.8 - Pray to be fruitful and bring glory to God
v.10 - Pray for obedience and the strength to be obedient
v.12 - Pray to better love others
v.16 - Pray in thankfulness for choosing me
v.20-21 - Pray to be persecuted and hated because of my love for Christ
v.26 - Pray in thankfulness for the Holy Spirit indwelling me
As I look over that list, I realize how easy it is to pray for some things and how hard it is to pray for others. For example, why on earth would I intentionally pray to be persecuted and hated? Because it would be a sign that I love Jesus with all my heart.
Why would I intentionally pray to be pruned - something that can be and is very painful? Because by pruning me, He removes all the stuff that keeps me from growing in Him and being fruitful for Him.
Over the last year and a half I have often wondered if there is something I am missing as I pray for Joshua and our adoption. Why does it take so long? Please God, bring him home! When will He answer my prayers? Maybe he is...maybe I'm just not praying the right things. Maybe I'm praying what I want rather than what HE wants.
This devotion really got me thinking about how I pray and the intimacy in which I pray - what I bring to the table in my daily conversations with God. I am challenged to make sure that my conversations with God aren't like a conversation with Santa - asking for everything I want, but not really wanting to know HIS perspective, HIS plan, HIS will. When I begin to pray in faith and with thanksgiving, I will be able to better discern what HIS will for my life is and I will be able to better pray within HIS will. Then, and only then, will I begin to bear the fruit that I want to bear.
No comments:
Post a Comment