Tuesday, March 10, 2009

What's going on?

It's been over a month...can't believe how fast time flies! We've been busy here at home, but not much has happened on the adoption front.

Two friends visited Haiti in February as part of the HIS Home Family visits. I wasn't able to go, so they brought me back pictures and a report. As far as our paperwork, our wonderful lawyer told them that there has been no change in our papers. We are still waiting on a presidential dispensation from President Preval. To complicate things, though, Haiti is preparing for another election on April 16th. With a country and government as unstable as Haiti's, the threat for riots and manifestations is not just daily but hourly. It is our hope and prayer that our papers can come out of his office prior to the elections and that the elections are successful - and selfishly, favorable for all adoptive families.

Joshua is doing well. He was cutting 5 teeth while my friends were there and was very unhappy. Of all the times for him to need his momma... We skyped with him a few days after they got back and he seemed to be recovering well. We'll skype with him again this weekend...can't wait! Other than that, he appears to be a healthy, happy, twenty-month old little boy.

Craig and I just returned from a cruise we took along the Mexican Riviera. I would highly recommend cruising as a vacation. There was little planning we had to do - and that was really limited to what we wanted to do either on the boat or as an excursion at our port calls. We visited Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallarta. Our favorite stop was Puerto Vallarta and it was because of the amazing excursion we did. Craig and I now wish we had kept the trip I won to Puerto Vallarta instead of changing it to Cancun...but a free trip is a free trip and we'll enjoy Cancun!!!

We went horseback riding in Cabo, spent the day lounging by the pool and beach at a resort that tried really hard to get us to buy a time share with them, and when ziplining and rapelling in Puerto Vallarta. We saw whales playing in the ocean, played bingo and dodgeball, ate lots of food, went ice skating, saw an ice show, laughed at hilarious games like Love and Marriag and Battle of the Sexes, and enjoyed the humor of Rondell Sheridan (from That's So Raven). Not to mention getting to share the experience with some of our closest friends.

Thanks to a great friend of ours who stayed with DD and DS while we were gone. So blessed to have wonderful friends who helped us out in a multitude of ways!

Getting back has been more difficult than usual for us. We found out there were issues with our credit card - which have since been resolved. Then I took DS to the dentist to have a crown put in, a tooth filled, a tooth pulled, and a spacer put in. I had my own dr. appts. I was rear-ended last week after leaving the hospital visiting a friend, only to find myself back in that hospital's ER a few hours later. Then both kids started running fevers and we've since learned that both of them have strep. I am thankful that the kids getting sick and being rear-ended did not happen while we were gone.

On the positive side, I scheduled a trip to Haiti to see Joshua and I am actually getting to go with the couple who introduced us to HIS Home. It will be their first trip to Haiti and I am excited to be able to share that with them.

So, today begins day 5 of having someone at home sick. In this case, both kids are home sick from school. Unbeknownest to them, we'll be going to pick up work for them in a couple of hours. DD seems to be doing worse today than yesterday and I'm hoping that changes soon as I don't want her to miss any more school. DS seems to be doing better today and woke up without a fever for the first time in 5 days. So, things appear to be looking up there.

Through all of this, though, I am reminded that I am not alone. Whether dealing with sick kids, or paperwork on a desk, I know that God is with me. More importantly, He is in control. I am amazed at how it seems that I am much calmer and more positive about the whole adoption process that others around me. I know that it is because I've been to Haiti, I've seen where Joshua is. I know he is being well cared for, and he is definitely being loved. I also know that I have peace in the fact that Joshua will come home - on God's time and within His plan. Lately, though, I have also been reminded that even though he already knows the desires of my heart, He wants ME to share my heart with Him. It's okay for me to ask what I really want. It's okay for me to be disappointed when things take too long. It's okay for me to ask questions. I know that He is listening to me and I have peace in the fact that He loves me and He is bigger than whatever it is that is holding up our adoption. He wants me to be in relationship with Him and that doesn't mean only telling Him what I think He wants to hear. He wants all of me, good and bad.

No comments: