...I've been assimilated! GO STEELERS!!!!
I ended up staying home with Craig and DS to watch the game. DD watched various movies on the TV in our room. And, it's a good thing I did - although I would have been home when the really stressful time hit.
When it's all said and done, I realized something...some time over the last 13+ years that I've been with Craig and the almost 12 years we've been married, he has turned me into one of the faithful of the Steelers Nation. I was scolding the defense for "losing a game that was theirs to win". I was literally pacing during the last 2:35 of the game when the Steelers got the ball back after Fitzgerarld's touchdown made it a 23-20 lead for the Cardinals. After watching Santonio Holmes make an amazing catch - controlled and with both feet on the ground - I began to believe they might actually win their 6th Super Bowl. But there was still time for a veteran like Warner, throwing to Fitzgerald to come back and score another touchdown. It was not to be - the defense that disappeared during the 4th quarter made an amazing come back and stopped the Cardinals in their tracks - forcing Warner to fumble the ball on the last of 4 downs, clinching the win for the Steelers.
It was at that moment that I realized I wasn't pacing because Craig was anxious or because I feared his reaction if they lost. I was pacing because I wanted the Steelers to win. I've become one of "them" - one of those wild, crazy, obsessed Steelers fans. Will I be as obsessed as Craig? Probably not. But don't get in the way of me and my TV come fall...especially when the Steelers are on!
Congratulations to the Cardinals on getting to the Super Bowl and for giving fans of football all over one heck of a game to watch. It's being hailed as the best Super Bowl ever. I think I'd have to agree. Kurt Warner is one amazing role model and I wish him luck on whatever he chooses to do next - whether to stay in football as a player or begin a new chapter in his life.
Until next year...
No comments:
Post a Comment