Sunday, November 1, 2009

Candy

Okay, Halloween, or All Hallows Eve, is not my favorite "holiday".  Sure when I was a kid I dressed up and went trick or treating with all the other kids in the neighborhood.  I got lots of candy and generally had fun.

But there's something about celebrating something that really worships someone else.

I get that kids who dress up and go trick or treating are probably not aware of what Halloween is really about.  Our kids do know the truth behind Halloween.  And we talk about it every year.

This is one area where Roundabout Geek and I are not in full agreement.  I don't think we should do anything with it.  He thinks its okay as long as Princess N and Quarterback know the Truth.  We have agreed that they may dress up as something that is fun - no mean looking witches, no vampires, no devils, nothing gory, and go trick-or-treating, provide that one of us is always with them and there are no other alternatives to that activity.

Honestly, I struggle with this every year.  I still don't think we should do anything with it.  Roundabout Geek still thinks its just for fun.  We still compromise.

I still don't like Halloween.

Yesterday was no exception - I struggled.  They dressed up - as Glenda the good witch from Wizard of Oz and Zoro.   Roundabout Geek's oldest sister and her family (4 kids) were in town visiting.  We all met at my MIL and FIL's house for dinner, then took the kiddos (all 6 of them) around their neighborhood.  A local body of believers was having a carnival at the town square, so we did that with them too.  Ask me, I would have prefered to have done just that, but...

And what did we end up with when we got back?


Lots and lots of candy.  A whole hat full to be exact.



And since I have two children...I have the equivalent of two hats of candy now finding residence in my house.

What exactly am I supposed to do with all that candy?

Well, I know what I don't want to do with it!!  Eat it.  See chocolate is my downfall.  I love chocolate.  Milk chocolate.  Dark chocolate.  Chocolate and peanut butter.  Chocolate and toffee.  Chocolate and caramel.  Chocolate and nuts.  MMMMMM.... I looooooove chocolate!





And, as you can see, there is plenty of chocolate to be had.  And those don't include the three bags of chocolate I bought to hand out that I ended up not handing out. 

So, I suppose I will continue having this internal conflict every year.  In the meantime, I will enjoy pillaging some of this chocolate from my kids.  After all,they don't need all of it, do they?

No comments: