Tuesday, March 9, 2010

time flies!!

Wow!  I can't believe it's been almost two weeks since I last posted.  Time flies when you are busy!  And boy are we busy!

Since I last posted, Roundabout Geek and I both had Journey Through Faith weekends - him in the conference room, me transporting travelers and seeing to some behind the scenes support things.  Tiring, long, but oh so worth it!

And in the midst of this, Princess N had a sleepover, two, yes TWO positive strep tests requiring two rounds of two different antibiotics, and standardized testing at school.  Quarterback had a wrestling tournament, two sleepovers, and went to root on a friend at another wrestling tournament.  Joshua has been busy on a "visiting" circuit as I like to call it.  He goes to work, school, Journey through Faith (even making an appearance in the conference room), Freedom Church, etc. 

It seems wherever he goes he is a celebrity...of sorts.  And if he isn't already known by the people we meet up with, like at Costco or Wal-Mart, he is the main attraction...or at least he and I together are.  I guess a white lady and a Haitian little boy just aren't that common 'round these parts and its thrown everyone for a bit of a loop.  Those who have kids in Princess N's or QB's school can be heard in the aisles saying, "That's Joshua."  To which their parents will either reply, "Oh, THAT's Joshua", or "Who's Joshua".  It seems all of the children at the school now who Joshua is. 

I got used to being called "Princess N's mom" or "Quarterback's mom".  Now I'm "Joshua's mom" and the kids are "Joshua's brother/sister."  That's okay though, we all LOVE it!

Joshua's English gets better everyday.  We have been truly amazed at the things he has picked up on so quickly.  He recently switched from calling me "momma" to "mommy" like N and QB do.  His favorite phrase is "Les go bye-bye."  He still says "oui" instead of yes, but its really cute and I don't mind...at least I know what that means!!!

Our days begin with getting everyone ready for school.  Breakfast, showers, getting dressed, etc.  If I get N and QB ready in time for the bus, the morning is declared a success.  If I get showered and dressed and I'm completely ready as well as getting the kids ready and on the bus, the morning is declared a victory.  Hey, when you're this exhausted, you celebrate all the little victories!!!

Joshua loves to watch N and QB get on the bus.  He gets his coat and shoes on and we go wait outside with them for the bus to arrive.  Yes, there are times (more often than I'd really like to admit) that I am still in my jamies to bid them adieu.  But, that's just the way it is some, er...most, days.  Joshua stands and watches them get on the bus, calling after them "Bye-bye well.  Bye-bye ishtan".  And repeats it over and over and over until the garage door is completely closed.  And then it turns to "Les go bye-bye".  Some days we do go bye-bye shortly after they leave.  Most days we don't.  And there are some days we never leave the house.

Joshua has started sleeping in his bed rather than on the floor!  Yeah!!!  And the bedtime routine seems to get easier and easier everyday.  And he usually sleeps completely through the nights.  Now if only I could sleep completely through the nights.  Maybe I should go to bed when he does???

Joshua is also eating very well now.  He will eat almost anything we give him.  Almost.  He is, after all, two and a half and doesn't eat everything we give him and will usually resort to snacking over formal eating.

We are still waiting to get our papers from Ohio to proceed with his adoption here, as if it was a domestic adoption.  We still don't know if there will be any other paperwork we will need to take care of.  Only time will tell.  And at least now, he's here to wait on God's time and his plan, rather than in Haiti.

**********************************************

And how could I not post and not talk about Haiti.  It is, after all, not only the birth place of our son, but also in my heart.

The rainy season has begun in Haiti.  Which means all of those people who are without shelter are now also wet...very wet.  That means all those tent cities that have been established are now full of cold, wet, sick internally displaced people (IDP's).  And bear in mind that some of those IDP's are children...some with their families.  Sadly most of them without.  And who is their voice?  Who is looking out for their best interest?  I would love to say that they are being heard and they are being cared for, but sadly, for most of them that just simply isn't the case.

Orphanages like HIS Home for Children are ready to accept new children.  We know that IBESR (the social services division of the gov't) has already told Chris to get her house ready to receive more children.  UNICEF continues to make things difficult though, especially for those children who have families in the US or elsewhere.  I'm not saying they aren't doing some good...I'd like to believe they are.  I'm just not sure keeping them in a country that is the poorest country in the western hemisphere, has an average life expectancy of 18, has the highest infant mortality rate of any other country in the westen hemisphere, is completely illiterate, where the average adult makes $2 a day, where most children eat dirt pies (dirt, water, salt, butter mixed together and left in the sun to dry), where raw sewage runs in open trenches, kids are seen playing on trash piles, unwanted babies are left to die in hospitals or on trash piles, unwanted children are sold as resteveks to other families, malnutrition and diseases such as HIV run rampant, and on top of all that has been hit by a massive earthquake and is now in its rainy season is really the best place for those children to be. 

You may think I am exaggerating.  Sadly, I'm not.  Everything I just said was the reality for many of the people in Haiti before the earthquake, let alone now.  My heart was completely and utterly broken the first time I went to Haiti.  So much so that I couldn't - and to an extent still can't - put the emotions into words.  I see the pictures on TV and I know they don't compare to what that beautiful country and her people really look like.  I ache to get back down there.  To do what little I can, whether it be holding a sick baby or putting up a block wall. 

I ache to get back down there.  Roundabout Geek aches go back down there.  See that's what happens when God breaks your heart.  You are never the same.  And I can tell you that I will never be the same.  I try to remind myself and my family of how blessed we are when we start to whine about not having this or that toy, a bigger house, a newer car, the latest fashions, etc.  We DO have jobs, a house, food, clothing, etc.  And in the big scheme of things, we are RICH...filthy rich when you compare that to other countries.

Haiti is a beautiful place...not because of sparkling beaches and beautiful buildings and amazing resorts.  Because those are NOT Haiti.  Haiti is beautiful because of the people who are there.  People who have joy in spite of their living conditions.  People who continue to persevere in the worst of conditions.  People who are resilient and keep on going irregardless of the fact that at the end of the day they go back to their little shacks with or without food.  People who have hope despite a questionable future.  People whose hearts are visible in their eyes.  People who greet you at the airport with music.  People who dance and love and laugh and above all, hope. Hope for a better tomorrow, hope for a better future for themselves and their children.

I love Haiti.  I love her people.  No, we did not adopt simply to have a piece of Haiti with us here all the time.  We adopted because God asked us to.  We adopted from Haiti because God asked us to.  Joshua is here with us because God has a plan for him...we think a plan that involves us raising him up to know Jesus, educating him, teaching him about Haiti and where he came from (and that includes teaching him creole).  We think the plan involves us raising him only to send him back to where he came from, because that's what we think God is doing in his little life...even now.  We don't know the plans that God has for any of us, including Joshua.  When Roundabout Geek came to me and told me he thought we should adopt, he was very clear in from where and why.  And he was very clear that it was not what he wanted, but what God wanted for us.

****************************************

Roundabout Geek has an opportunity at work that will require us to take a step of faith.  We are praying about what God has planned for him with this and will do what He asks us to do.  We are excited and anxious at the opportunity at the same time.  No, it does not involve us moving from where we are now.

Will you please join us in prayer about this? We would certainly covet them!

****************************************

Well, it's that time..kids are home from school, homework needs done and checked, ballet is tonight and so is a meeting for me.  So, we are busy, yet again.

Until next time...

Always hoping.  Always trusting.  Always praying.  Always loving.  Always.

1 comment:

lilmack3562 said...

Nice Post. Joshua certainly steals the show when he's around. I've never met a more "un-afraid" toddler that eats up attention from anyone he can get it. He definitely brings smiles to those he's around, but then again, so do your other kids. I'm glad to hear things are busy yet enjoyable. It gives me hope and confidence to handle God's major life changes, like for us in the next 24 hours.