Today was a big day in our house. Well, I suppose that depends on who you ask. For Craig and DS, today marked the first day of the "best" season of the year. Sure, the season hasn't officially started, but today was the first televised event of this season.
Figured it out yet??? FOOTBALL SEASON
For our house, once the Hall of Fame game has aired, it is all about the game - who's playing, what channel, and most importantly, can we see it? Tonight's game between the Indianapolis Colts and the Washington Redskins was the one thing our son looked forward to all day. He was fairly bummed when it wasn't on yesterday, as DH thought. The "home" team may have been playing tonight, but not OUR team. Nope, all of our energy is reserved for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Craig bleeds black and gold - whether rooting for our alma mater, the Purdue Boilermakers, or his beloved Steelers.
When Craig and I met nearly 13 years ago, his love for the game and his team was obvious. And a choice became obvious to me as well - either I learn to like football, and his Steelers, or I lose him to the couch and TV for 6 months, even if the Steelers aren't in the playoffs or the Super Bowl. I decided that I would choose to join him in the love of the game, and I really do love football now. I'm not a superfan of the Steelers, though I do root for them above all other teams, including the "home" team.
When DS showed not only an interest, but a talent in football, Craig was thrilled - something he could share with his son. And they have spent countless hours tossing the football around - inside and outside. His favorite sport, as declared by him today, is football (with golf coming in a close second). And this week marks the beginning of practice for him and his team of K-1st graders.
There's only one small problem - well, not small and she's definitely not a problem. The problem is her lack of love towards football. She would tell you that she hates this time of year because she feels banished to her room for hours every Sunday so Daddy, Mommy, and brother can watch whatever game happens to grace our television that day (usually one involving the "home" team and every now and then the Steelers). Granted being banished is her choice, but she doesn't like to watch football and with only one TV in the house, she's not left with many other choices. Maybe this year we can find ways to involve her...there's always hoping!
The only saving grace she has is that her baby brother, Joshua, won't have such a love for the game. Unfortunately, he is a boy and Craig and DS have already started talking about playing football with him and how good he'll be. Time has yet to tell!
BTW, do you know who's going to the super bowl yet? Craig and DS do - it's the same this time every year - the Pittsburgh Steelers.
No comments:
Post a Comment