The 1974 adoption law in Haiti says that adoptive parents must be 35 years old. If they are married, only one needs to be 35, but they have to have been married at least 10 years and have no kids of their own. Obviously, we don't meet these requirements. We knew this going into the adoption and we also knew that if needed, we could ask for a Presidential dispensation - something that the law allows. We also know that in the last two years, it has not been required. BUT, now someone in Parquet is saying that if adoptive parents don't meet the requirements, then they must now seek Presidential dispensation, regardless of the fact that their file has already passed through and been approved by IBESR. I know of two adoptive parents who are now having to get this, and since our file was with them, I can only assume that we are in the same boat. So....
Deanna and Rebee are headed to Haiti on Wednesday. I'm trying REALLY hard not to call Chris to find out where our file stands and just let them ask for me. They've already promised to e-mail me when they find out. Calling would be an international call and would cost us around $5 a minute...not something I'd like to spend my $$ on. AND, I don't want to be one of THOSE adoptive parents who expects Chris to drop everything and work only on her adoption. She works so hard as it is...I don't need to add any pressure to her.
So really, this all boils down to trust, then, doesn't it. Trusting and having faith is something - or someone - that I can't physically see with my eyes, hold with my hands, or hear with my ears. But, I choose to do that. I choose to trust in my God - my perfect, amazing, wonderful, loving God. His plan is perfect. His timing is perfect. He has a will for me - a good, pleasing, and perfect will. Sitting here wallowing will not change what his plan is, it only serves to bring me down and feel hopeless. Well, I refuse to do that. First, there is no confirmation yet. Second, even if we do need it, God is still in control and there is still nothing I can do about it. Instead, I seek the comfort of His Word.
"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in ALL circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." I Thessalonians 5:16-18 (emphasis mine)
"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." Romans 15:13
One of my favorite devotional books is Jesus Speaks. This mornings devotional was all about being thankful in all circumstances and at all times. There was one thing that really hit me this morning. It says, "When your mind is occupied with thanking Me, you have no time for worrying or complaining." I found this quite timely for today in light of the fact that I am trying NOT to worry instead of being thankful and just completely avoid the worrying altogether.
So, what do I have to be thankful for? Well, see if you can find anything in these pictures:





No comments:
Post a Comment