It's that dreaded Monday. Monday's aren't sooo bad for me. I'm one of the lucky ones. I don't actually GO to work on Mondays. I DO work, just without the hassle of a commute or timesheets or accountability or whatever you want to call it.
And today, this Monday, was an even better Monday. I had a chance to go to a local state park with Princess N's class. We have several state parks here in our midwest state. I've been to some. Some I've heard of, but never been to. But today we went to a state park that I didn't even know existed. So, along with the 60 or so students that were on this trip, I learned a lot about some of the prehistoric history (is that redundant) of our state. Like, 2000 years ago there were Native American people who lived around here and would go to the area in the is state park for ceremonies and celebrations. I learned how our state tree are ideal for making dugout canoes, used as transportation for these people as horses were not native to this area and weren't even in existence in this state 2000 years ago. I learned about a shag bark hickory tree that yielded sweet hickory nuts that the people could eat. I learned that stinging nettles can be eaten and their twiny fibers could be braided or twined to make rope and, well, twine.
I also learned that I get a ginormous headache when on a school bus for over an hour with 30 of the said 60 students, and that even though I wanted to take a nap when I got home, I sprayed my furniture and put flea junk on my carpet instead. And now Princess N and Quarterback are home from school and the aforementioned nap will just have to wait...more than likely til I hit the sack tonight for a not-so-long autumn sleep.
Now Princess N has had pretty much the same classmates for a while now, so I know most of them. Today I got the privilege to meet a new little girl in her class. She is a quiet, petite little thing that causes me stop and wonder what her story is. Why did her family move into our school district from another one in town? Why does her dad not work? What is her story?
Princess N is such a gem though! S was left alone quite often, having only been in the class a few days. Princess N took it upon herself to befriend S today and I have several pictures of them having a wonderful time. I am still left wondering what her story is...all I can do is pray that I get a chance to get to know her better - and her parents too. After all, God didn't say loving people would always be easy, he just asks us to love them. And love S is exactly what Princess N did today. She may not be the most popular girl in school...when it comes to compassion though, there is NO ONE who can even hold a candle to her. Compassion comes to her naturally. We don't have to ask her to care for others, she just does. I learn so much about kindness, compassion, patience, and gentleness from our first born. She exudes every one of these qualities and teaches me everyday how to be more of all those myself.
So, this IS a Monday, which means not everything goes well. And our bit of bad news...we learned we have a cracked heat exchanger on our furnace. Thankfully, we do not have a standing pilot furnace. The tech said that since our house isn't that old, the furnace should still be under warranty. BUT the owner of the service company (who knows Craig) called and left him a message...apparently some of the units were sold to and installed by non-certified HVAC companies. Whether ours was or wasn't we aren't sure. So, we are still waiting to find out what's going on with our furnace. Thankfully the weather looks to be getting slightly warmer, so use of the furnace may be required, but the cooler temperatures are setting in and I'd rather get this sooner rather than later! Hopefully its still covered under warranty and we don't have to worry about it. Otherwise it sounds like a new furnace may be required. With an unexpected trip to Haiti, our savings isn't where we'd like to be to purchase a new furnace. AND, we weren't looking to do this now anyway - bummed is a good way to put it. Again, HOPING that it is still under warranty and I'm worry for no reason!
Well, kids are home now, so I have to get to work.
No comments:
Post a Comment