And it's the Monday after Thanksgiving....I haven't just quit on my blog yet again. Nope, I chose to spend last week with my kids after being away from them for a week. That coupled with work and the fact that staying up until 9pm is too late for me right now, has left me with litte free time to blog. I still feel like I am going to fall over if I'm not in my bed by 9pm, but with Thanksgiving being a thing of the past, and getting to a more "normal" life again, I have a bit more time on my hands.
Last week saw the busy-ness of coming home from Haiti (for both Roundabout Geek and I), and India (for Roundabout Geek). Coming home means lots of laundry and dry cleaning, going through a huge stack of mail, cleaning my house, doing groceries for the first time in three weeks, catching up on a week's worth of work (and then some), going through the kids' homework and papers for the last week, etc. Not to mention the fact that I also had planning Thanksgiving for the coming weekend, spending Thursday preparing the turkey and fixin's, shopping Friday, and tree hunting and decorating on Saturday. Bottle all of that up in to one week and I am left with little free time, and what free time I had, I spent with Princess N and Quarterback. All in all, through every bit of craziness and exhaustion, it was a good week.
For the first time in, well ever, I went after-Thanksgiving shopping with my sister-in-law who is here from out of town. My Friday began at 4am (ugh!) and ended when I finally walked in the door after shopping (and an oil change) at close to 2pm. Roundabout geek? At work. Kids? At grandma and grandpa's house. Plus side - Princess N's shopping is done with the exception of the small things and Quarterback is done except for one purchase I can only make online and the small things. Haven't really started with Roundabout Geek yet. He says he doesn't want anything, but I know he'll get me something, so I'm in a bit of a quandry. We keep talking about doing a new laptop for the house - but tell him not to buy me anything else! He will and I won't, then I'll feel bad. So you see the predicament I'm in. Down side - spent money before we knew what Roundabout Geek's bonus will be, if he gets a bonus this year. So, saving the receipts! We don't normally go shopping until we know how much we have to spend. So, time will tell.
We did go to the tree farm this weekend to pick out our Christmas tree. It has been a tradition of ours since before we added kids to the mix. Either the Saturday after Thanksgiving or the Saturday after that (depending on where we spent Thanksgiving, the frozen tundra or our little state), we put on our warm clothes, grab the camera and some rope and head a little north of here to a wonderful tree farm. In years past, when it was just Roundabout Geek and I choosing the tree, the actual finding of the tree and picking the perfect one could last upwards to half an hour. Now, since the kiddos are involved in picking the tree - in fact they have the final say - it doesn't usually take as long. There's hot chocolate to drink, peanuts to eat, and farm animals to pet, after all. In addition to ourtree, we also go to their wreath barn to pick out a beautiful wreath for above our fireplace. The tree and wreath usually cost a little more by going to the tree farm, but it sure is worth it! We've never been sorry with the tree we pick - and every we declare that this tree is the best one we've ever had, this year included. Perhaps I will post pictures later, along with those long awaited pictures of Mr. Joshua.
And speaking of Joshua...this Wednesday is the day his mom is supposed to go to the embassy for her appointment with the officials there. I have heard this interview is very hard on biological parents. I can only pray that she shows up and does "well", meaning she gives the answers that the official is wanting to hear. In our case, his birth certificate shows his name as Joshua Wood, not just Wood; and his birthdate is off a month. So, we are praying that she does well in her interview. Along with that, she will be signing the PVA for the courts. This document is the reason we went to Haiti in the first place. On our end, it means we'll be taking over the care of Joshua. On her end, she relinquishes all rights to him. In other words, once she signs it, he's ours. No, don't go packing your bags, it won't be all legalized yet. Remember, we're still waiting on our Presidential approval.
So, all things said and done, we're slowly getting back into the swing of things...of course only to get crazy hectic again!
No comments:
Post a Comment