Sunday, December 6, 2009

kinda bummed

Today has kinda been a bummer of a day in this house.  This morning, Princess N woke up with a low-grade fever and complaining of a headache.  I have been fighting a killer cold that has conveniently settled into my chest.  At my annual check-up Monday, all was clear, but now I'm wondering if I haven't gotten worse since Monday. 

So, Princess N and I stayed home from worship today.  And today, especially, I was bummed because Roundabout Geek gave the talk this morning.  I had a chance to read it before he left, but it's just not the same as actually listening to him talk.  He speaks so much from his heart and is so honest when he talks.  It really is so much more to listen to than to just read.

Today was a skype day with HIS Home.  Unfortunately, there were too many clouds to make a good connection.  So, we didn't get to "talk" to Joshua today.  Not only do they do skype in the first place, giving us adoptive parents an opportunity to regularly see our kids through the computer, but when there are clouds - like today - they will do everything they can to get a hold of you during the week.  And this time, they are going to try next weekend if they can't get you during the week. They are such wonderful people!!!  They really care about the relationship between adoptive parents and their children, regardless of how far away they may be!  So even though it is disappointing, we are ever so thankful the just have the opportunity!

The big bummer of the day is our Steelers.  Without Polamalu on the defense, it seems like they've fallen apart.  Someone said that if it weren't for the game having four quarters, the Steelers would be like 11-1 and right now...since 5 of their 6 losses all came in the 4th quarter of the game.  The offense isn't all that stellar right now, but at least they're putting points up on the board.  Unfortunately, its the defense allowing the other team to put points up on the board that's really hurting us.

I read something recently, can't recall where, that showed the statistics on how your mood is dependent on how your team does.  My husband would be one that would allow it to affect the rest of his day.  Quarterback would be bummed about it but would move.  Roundabout Geek is getting better, but in the almost 4 hours since the game, he has muttered - more than once - that his team is terrible.  But, we survived the 90's and this team is at least a little better than the team they had then. And remember, the Steelers didn't do all that well after they won Superbowl 40, but a mere 3 years later they were back in the big game, winning it again - for the sixth time.  The only team to ever win 6 superbowls.  So, perhaps this is that off-year yet again.  Time will only tell.

And as my day winds to a close - yes 8pm is a close for me lately - I am reminded of how truly blessed we are.  So regardless of the illness, sadness, disappointments, and frustrations, we have our little family and for that I am truly thankful.

No comments: