Two nights ago I had the best night's sleep in a week. Last night...not so much. After finding out that the group that spent yesterday at the embassy weren't exactly told "No", I started to worry that too much pressure would be a hindtrance rather than a help. Oh well...Roundabout Geek and I already sent out our e-mails. What will come of it, who know??? We're hopeful that the light of day will yield renewed compassion from the embassy officials and that the evacuation visas for all 56 children there will be issued early today so they can be on their way home soon.
Chris, Junior, members of the team, and all 56 children spent the night at the embassy last night so they would be first in line today. According to one team member, they were inside the embassy where there is air conditioning and about half the kids were crying because they were cold. Another team member said that they were singing and praying. LOVE to hear that! And, they all spent their first night on "American" soil, albeit while still in Haiti. The irony of that just makes me giggle.
We remain faithful that Joshua will be coming home soon - this weekend hopefully. We were a bit ill prepared for his coming this soon, thinking we'd have a couple of months at least to prepare. Mind you, I am NOT complaining...just stating a fact. Thanks to some neighbors, we have a car seat for him which is already in the car and Princess N being the oldest has now been relegated to the far back seat. We have a few more clothes for him now than yesterday (thanks Grandma!). We have an eating seat, since I never did have a high chair. Can't say we're "ready", but at least we're headed in the right direction!
I was at Wal-Mart yesterday looking at all the stuff they have...did they have this much stuff when Princess N and Quarterback were born??? I don't remember. And as I was shopping, it occured to me that I have had the luxury of shopping without kids with me for nearly three years now. This will all change when Joshua comes home! In fact, I'm going to need to get one of those things you put inside the cart to keep the kids occupied...just to keep him, well, occupied.
We have a lot more work to do in our adoption of him now. We will need to become his legal guardians then adopt him then naturalize him. All of that means more paperwork and more money. We will now need to get an attorney or attorneys involved...plural because we might need one for the adoption and another for the immigration. Any suggestions????
There are many things that will change when Joshua comes home...and I welcome each and every one of them if it means my son is here with me. Okay, I'll be "just" his legal guardian...he's still with me and I am still his mom. Okay there's more work to be done...at least he's here while that work is being done and not there. Whatever happens, however long it takes...at least he'll be here during the process.
We're not entirely sure what happens next. And we haven't worried about it a whole lot...concerned more with getting him here than what happens next. What happens next will happen. Until then we wait!
As I go into this day, I will be praying that all things go well today in Haiti. They're still having aftershocks - so praying those cease. I will be praying specifically for those people who will be looking at each of the 56 files and that they look on them favorably and with great compassion such that they will issue the evacuation visas. I will pray that all 56 children are released today and that the other 18 who have adoptive parents will get their papers soon too. I will pray that they are on their way home soon, this weekend would be wonderful.
And in the midst of all this praying, I will be praising Him as well. Praising him that there are people receiving their traveling documents. Praising him that what we are going through right now is not uncommon at this point, and others are getting it done. Praising him that all of the children are still safe and doing well. Praising him that Convoy of Hope set up a feeding station and water purification center right where the kids are staying. Praising him that the area continue to remains relatively safe. Praising him for Junior and Chris and Hal who are working so hard to get these kids home - sacrificing what little comfort they have to make sure these kids are home soon. Praising him that we have a huge community surrounding us - both physically here where we live, but also via the internet through other adoptive parents and friends we don't see often. Praising him for the way our community has surrounded us with love, support, and prayer. Praising him that there is already a plan in place for bringing him home, whenever that may be. Praising him for the Senators and Congressmen who have done their part in making sure these kids get home. Praising him that I am not alone, even if I sometimes feel like it. Praising him that I've been able to talk to others (on the radio even) about Haitian adoptions and supporting organizations like Convoy of Hope*. Praising him that I am able to be a shining light for Him through all of this. To God be the Glory!
*Convoy of Hope is an organization that was already set up in Haiti. They were able to develop a hybrid water purification system from two they normally use in impoverished areas but with the limited supplies in Haiti they had to come up with a hybrid. One of their articles actually said they had just restocked their warehouse in Haiti with food. How Great is our God that the provisions were there before this tragedy?! In addition, Culligan is working with Convoy of Hope to get two containers to Haiti once the shipping lanes open. These containers are filled with 50,000 bottles of water that are specifically for this purpose. Since Grandpa works for Culligan (well owns two franchises), this is a pretty cool connection. As with all other organizations on the ground in Haiti, Convoy of Hope could use our help. Click here to donate. Although we had never heard of this organization before now, we plan on giving to it ourselves.
As for Pierre, his family, and Nehemiah Vision Ministries....Pierre is still in Haiti while his wife and children have come to the states for the time being. We are still trying to figure out something permanent but are thankful they are here and have a place to stay. Please pray for them as they adjsut to being here and away from Pierre.
We sent a team of 14 to Haiti today via the Dominican Republic. They will hopefully arrive in Port-au-Prince sometime late tomorrow. Please pray for their travels, both to the DR and then to Haiti. I know they are all anxious to get there to begin helping those who need the help.
Roundabout Geek and I are spent...exhausted and tired after a trying week of hurry up and wait. Princess N and Quarterback are excited and anxious to have their brother home. Princess N had an especially hard time last night when things looked a bit grim. Can't wait to see her face this morning when I tell her where her brother spent the night!
Well, I must begin my day. The bus will be here in about an hour. I need to get some work done from home today before Joshua gets here. We have small group tonight which means I need to clean the house...and honestly, it could use a decent cleaning!
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding. In all of your ways, acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6
Always.
No comments:
Post a Comment