At around 5pm this evening, a earthquake measuring 7.0 hit Haiti about 15 miles from Port-au-Prince. The word from the orphanage is that all of the kids are fine. There is damage to a security wall, which is not good because they are there for security, obviously. Although I have never felt in danger while there, the neighborhood isn't the best and is in a high traffic area. When things such as this occur, it is common for rioting and looting to happen in the aftermath. Without the security wall, this could be a problem. They also need to have the main house inspected for any structural damage that may have occurred as a result of the initial earthquake and subsequent aftershocks. Click here to learn how to help HIS Home - who will need financial help to rebuild their destroyed walls and to keep the kids fed...prices are bound to go up.
Oh how I wish I had cable right now...then again maybe not. I was at the in-laws earlier and watched it some there. Rumors of Obama saying they will help, as well as UNICEF. I truly hope that the much needed aid will go there. One article I read said that the US would help if humanitarian assistance is needed. When does Haiti not need Humanitarian assistance? Why does it take a catastrophe such as this to get people to notice there is a THIRD WORLD COUNTRY 75 MILES SOUTH OF THE FLORIDA COASTLINE!!!!
The bottom line for us at this point is this - Joshua is okay. Our friends at the orphanage are ok. Junior has not yet been heard from, which IS a concern because he is Chris' right hand man, literally! Pierre and Nathan are in Trinidad, but no one has been able to get a hold of his wife and other two kids. Please pray for them! Click here to find out about NVM.
Please don't ask "What about your adoption?" I simply do not know. Everything in me wants to go down there and scoop him up into my arms and to bring him home forever. I can't do that right now. I was supposed to go in February...who knows about that trip now. Only time will tell. Time and light.
This is a country that has no established disaster relief plan, or the funds to deal with one of this magnitude. This is a country whose infrastructure cannot support the everyday goings on, let alone a catastrophe. This is a country that has been all but forgotten. They need our help NOW!!! More than ever. I can only hope the media and celebrity attention that was given to the tsunami victims a few years ago is given to Haiti this time. Will there be a phone-a-thon where celebrities of all walks show their support of these people?
All I can do now is pray for Hal and Chris and the other people at HIS Home, for my son, for our adoption, for our friends.
Please join me in prayer for this country - and that maybe, just maybe out of this catastrophe will come some good. God uses all things for HIS good. This was not a surprise to God...only to us. It is on Him I will draw my strength to get through the next few hours, days, weeks. It is on Him I will draw my peace, a peace that passes understanding. It is on Him that I will focus and not on what I do not know.
Joshua - wherever you are right now, I praise God for your safety thus far and pray for your safety through this evening. If I could fly down there and get you now, I would. Mommy loves you. Daddy loves you. God loves you. Goodnight sweet by. I love you.
No comments:
Post a Comment