Today Joshua and I went to the International Adoption Clinic at our local Children's Hospital. Our wonderful pediatrician Dr. S told us this is what we needed to do when we went to see him two weeks ago. In fact, his awesome nurse T had already set up the appointment for us! So thankful that she did that and that they know what to do in cases like this...international adoption cases.
At the clinic, we saw a clinical nurse who spent time talking to us about what our day would bring and got a little bit of background on Joshua and what little medical history we know.
Then we saw Dr. B. He did a full physical on him and we talked about things like eating and sleeping, both of which continue to be problem areas for us. He said that medically everything looks fine and it is obvious that he was well cared for at the orphanage. (Thanks Hal and Chris and HIS Home...kudos to you guys!!!) He did order a battery of blood tests as well as stool samples. He also ordered a TB test. We go back to see Dr. B in a month for another check up. I take him on Thursday to have his TB test read.
After we saw Dr. B, we saw Dr. E. He focused more on the neuro side of things. He said that developmentally Joshua is doing very well. We discussed his speech and he indicated that in the next couple of months we will find that he has converted to English quite well (somewhat sad for me as I'd like him to remember his Kreyole!). He did not want to enroll him in any type of speech therapy right now. He did order a hearing test for him as this will help to circumvent any potential speech issues in the future. We will go back to see Dr. E in six months.
At his six month check up, Joshua will have another TB test done. Important mostly because of where he came from and the circumstances he lived in just prior to leaving Haiti.
After we left the clinic, we headed to the Children's Hospital for the blood draw. I lost count after 8 vials. He is being tested for everything under the sun it seems - HIV, Hep A, B, and C, syphilis, lead, CBC panel, etc., etc., etc. Although he wasn't all that fond of it, Joshua did very well. Then I was given the supplies I needed to obtain stool samples on three separate days, as well as instructions on how to properly do so. Can I just say, YUCK!!!!! We have one down and two to go. Thankfully there is a preservative in each little vial so I don't have to go back to Children's every time I have a sample, I can just do it one time! Yay!!!
Healthwise, he is in great shape. As far as eating goes...Dr. B suggested the starve tactic. If Joshua doesn't have the option for food later, he will eat what is given to him. He is testing boundaries. I will give him calories at breakfast and lunch, but I won't be special ordering his food at dinner. He will be given what we have and eventually he'll eat it. Well, according to Dr. B anyway. We'll see what happens.
And sleeping...we need to let him cry if the only reason he is crying is that he is mad. We don't need to worry about the abandonment or bonding. It was obvious to Dr. B that there is no real concern as far as this goes right now. Joshua knows we are there/here, but we can't let get his way. Hopefully we'll move him into his big boy bed and in with Christian soon! I've been having him nap in his big boy bed, hoping this well help make the transition easier.
**********************************************
Also today was the fourth two-hour delay in a row. I mean honestly, when will the snow end! I used to like winter and snow. Now, though, I am beginning to have that cooped up feeling. I need to get out of this house. I would prefer to be warm and not cold.
And, Princess N is home sick. I took her to see Dr. S yesterday after she complained of a sore throat for 4 days. She finally had me look at it and I said, "yep, it's red. If it still hurts tomorrow, I'll take you to the doctor." That was Sunday night. Yesterday she woke up feeling miserable...miserable enough to cry. But with no fever, I wondered if she really had strep.
A phone call later we had an appointment to see Dr. S. After answering the standard questions about her symptoms - what they were, how long she'd had them, any other symptoms, etc., he conducted his exam. Lungs - OK. Ears - OK. Glands - appear to be a bit swollen and one on right tender. Throat - "You win! Worst throat of the day so far." His words, not mine, followed by that dreaded swab. A few minutes later we walked out with a prescription for her and a school excuse for today.
And so today she is home...resting.
**********************************************
Thank you to EVERYONE who has sent us something or given us something! I am making a list and as soon as I have the picture cards, you will receive a formal thank you. We have been so overwhelmed with all of the good wishes, congratulations, and gifts. People we hardly know have gotten us gifts, congratulated us, called us, e-mailed us. It has been truly amazing to see the community of people that God has placed around us.
THANK YOU!!!
And now, while Joshua is sleeping, this very exhausted mom is going to catch a few zzzzz's herself!
No comments:
Post a Comment